Fifteen local piano students recently earned top scores in the Music Teachers Association of California Certificate of Merit program.
Since 1934, the Music Teachers Association of California has examined students on musical performance, music theory, ear training, sight reading and technique.
Of 700 students in the Alameda Couny East Branch, which includes the Tracy area, only 42 received perfect scores. Eight of them were from Tracy or Mountain House:
• Prep level: Chetan Bolleddula, fourth grade, Questa School; and Sohom Mallick, seventh grade, Hansen School.
• Level 1: Chiyo Buckley, second grade, Bella Vista Christian Academy; and Naomi Le sixth grade, Traina School.
• Level 3: Marc Sia, eighth grade, West Valley Christian Academy.
• Level 4: Mia McNesby, seventh grade, Traina School.
• Level 5: Hana Yie, eighth grade, Bella Vista Christian Academy.
• Level 6: Luke Ninh, junior, Kimball High School.
Based on their theory and performance scores, students at Level 1 and higher have been invited to perform at the association’s annual conference in Santa Clara, June 28-July 2.
Nine local students at Level 5 and higher were also selected to perform at the branch honors recital March 16 in Livermore in recognition of their outstanding scores in theory and performance:
• Level 5: Hana Yie; Michelle Bai, eighth grade, Discovery Charter School; Kavya Gadamsetti, seventh grade, Williams Middle School; and Vivian Ninh, freshman, Kimball High School.
• Level 6: Luke Ninh; and Celine Ha, sophomore, Tracy High School
• Level 7: Lance Le, sophomore, Kimball High School.
• Level 8: Sadie Fisher, sophomore, St. Mary’s High School.
• Level Advanced (10): Michael Cui, senior, Tracy High School.
The students study with local piano teachers Donna Mizuno, Lauren Goodall and Yelena Dadgar.